The 7th Street Christian Baptist Church was organized in 1936. The original location was in a store-front building on Harmon Street in Portsmouth, Ohio, which later relocated to the 5th Street Church. The first pastor was William (Billy) Williams and wife Laura. Brother Williams was the father of Hatti Craft. The Trustees (Eddie Blevins, Thurman Thomas, and Reuben Graham) and their wives used their furniture for collateral on a loan to purchase the property to build the current church located on the corner of 7th and Broadway Streets. After this debt was paid, the people began to build the church. When the church building was constructed enough for the congregation to move into the building, they sold the 5th Street Church building for $6000 and used the money to build the current building that we have today. The last two living charter members of the church were sisters, Cari Compton and Irene Blevins. Both of these ladies are now resting in the arms of Jesus.
Under the direction of Pastor Mike Bender, adjoining property and a lot across the street was purchased. The houses on the adjoining property were torn down to make marking next to the church. The lot also served as additional parking.
Under the direction of Pastor Darren Lore, in 2002, the old Fellowship hall was torn down and a new one completed in February 2003. From 2007-2009, an entire city block (7th and Campbell to Adams) was purchased as the site for the future church. An alter was erected on the corner.
The vision of growth and outreach continues under the direction of Pastor Lisa Crawford. What was once a vision, is now a reality.
Pastoral Lineage: 1936--William (Billy) Williams --Holley Conley Assistant: Irene Blevins --Van Williams --Goldie Taylor Assistant: Forrest Burke --James Smith --Roy Freeman --Eddie Blevins --Helen Walker --Irene Blevins --Mike Bender Assistant: Leatrice Kitchen --Darren Lore Assistant: Jason Blevins Associate: Jeffrey Miller Outreach: Hector Reffit Youth: Lisa Crawford Current: Lisa Crawford Assistant: Mark Reffit